Since so many of my friends are cooking a bun in the oven; I decided to post on prenatal nutrition!
Increased Nutrient Needs from Food & Supplements (Daily):
• Extra 300-400 calories (2nd & 3rd trimester)
• Double protein intake. Increase by 10 grams each trimester.
• High-quality multi-vitamin/mineral
• Folic Acid: 1200 mcg
• Iron: 27-40mg
• Vitamin E: 400-600 IU (mixed tocopherols)
• Calcium: 1000mg
• Magnesium: 600mg (300 mg before bed)
• Essential Fatty Acids: 1 tsp. Green Pastures fermented cod liver oil
• Fiber: 30-35 grams
• Probiotics: 25 billion live cultures/day from fermented foods & supplements
• Quality supplement recommendations: Innate Response, Mega Food & New Chapter. Glycinate form for minerals.
• Special Note: 2 weeks before delivery; supplement 10mg of K1 to prevent hemorrhaging and preclude need for K1 infant shot at birth.
• Eat organic!
• Eat 3 meals & snacks w/ protein to regulate blood sugar.
• Walk a mile a day
• Practice yoga, meditation or tai chi daily. *Calm mama = calm baby!*
• Reduce Stress!
• Eliminate: refined flour & sugar, Trans fats, artificial ingredients, alcohol, caffeine, drugs, medications (if possible), tap water, pasteurized milk & cheese, commercial foods and farmed fish.
• Drink 8-12 cups filtered water daily
• Get 8-9 hours of good quality sleep
• Avoid xenoestrogens (hormone mimicking substances):
o Plastics (especially heated)
o Pesticides, herbicides, fungicides
o Chlorine & Fluoride
o Added hormones (commercial meat & dairy)
o Cosmetics (parabens, phthalates)
o Household chemicals
Healthy foods to increase pre and post-pregnancy:
• Antioxidants (A, C, E, Selenium & Zinc): greens, berries, citrus, crucifers, nuts, seeds, seafood, cocoa & apples
• Booster Foods: spirulina/chlorella, sea vegetables, nuts, seeds, nutritional yeast, herbs, spices, Celtic sea salt
• Mineral-rich homemade bone broth
• Healthy Fats: avocado, olives/olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, seeds, fish, pastured animals, organic dairy, eggs, ghee
• Fiber: fruits, vegetables, whole grains (quinoa, millet, amaranth, brown rice, gluten-free oats, buckwheat)
• Protein: grass-fed animals, organic eggs, non-denatured whey protein concentrate, organic dairy, nuts, seeds & fish
• Fermented Foods: raw kimchi, sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir, miso, apple cider vinegar
• Herbal teas: chamomile, dandelion, red raspberry leaf, nettles, peppermint, ginger, burdock, lavender, lemon balm, oat straw & rose hips.
• Essential Oils: ginger, cinnamon, lavender, peppermint, frankincense, citrus (check labels for usage). Be careful with brands for quality. Oils can be detrimental during pregnancy unless good quality. Consult with your health care professional before use. *Do Terra is a safe, therapeutic-grade company.