It’s really challenging to choose the top 10 healing foods because there are an abundance of healthy foods! AND due to our biodiversity, some super foods are not so snazzy for folks who are sensitive, allergic or unable to digest them. With that being said, here are my top 10 favorite healthy foods that are healing for the majority of folks:
1. Homemade bone broth. It doesn’t get too much healthier than this my friends. Bone broth is rich in collagen, gelatin, amino acids and minerals, such as calcium. Bone broth is SUPER healing for your digestive system, provides nutrients essential for detox, supports the immune system and not to mention fabulous for those luscious locks and strong nails. Click here to learn how to prepare it: http://wellnessmama.com/5888/how-to-make-bone-broth/
2. Fermented foods. I can see your noise starting to turn up when you think about sauerkraut, but people- it can be good! There are so many ways to prepare it. If you’re not fond of sauerkraut, you can also try kimchi (my personal fav), beet kvass, or other fermented veggies, such as cucumber and carrots. Fermented foods are necessary for a healthy gut because they contain friendly flora- probiotics. They also contain enzymes for digestion as well as a ton of other nutrients. A healthy gut means rockin’ those skinny jeans with a flat stomach, stabilizing your weight and keeping your immune system boomin’. Aim for a Tbs. per meal.
3. Greens and greens powders (leafy greens, spirulina, wheat grass, etc.). Super high in easily absorbed protein, antioxidants, B vitamins, chlorophyll, iron and trace minerals. Our bodies seriously LOVE these little green boogers and our cells start singing when we eat them up. Also great for detox support. I like to add greens to everything (they shrink, so it’s easy) including salads, soups, stews, sauces, etc. I add a greens powder to my smoothies. I love this greens powder: https://www.emersonecologics.com/Products/EmersonMain/PID-A01125.aspx. Contact me for a discount code!
4. Turmeric. I love this little spice! It’s SUPER anti-inflammatory. It’s been proven to be more effective than NSAIDS for pain relief. It also protects against heart disease and cancer. The best absorption from a supplement is from curcumin with a fatty acid co-factor. Black pepper also boosts absorption.
5. Coconut oil…IS.THE.BOMB. I use it for everything! My skin, hair, nails, cooking, my baby’s bum if he’s irritated, etc. It’s very thyroid and gut friendly. It’s anti-pathogenic, so it kills yeast and other pathogens (candida overgrowth, parasites- sounds nuts but MOST people have some opportunistic (bad) bacteria in their gut!). It’s GREAT for cooking because it’s stable at high temperatures (as opposed to olive oil, vegetable oils or grapeseed oil).
6. Berries. Super high in antioxidants and low in sugar. They’re also high in fiber and other nutrients. Blueberries lower blood pressure and are anti-inflammatory.
7. Salmon from a clean source. Anti-inflammatory and FULL of healthy omega-3 fatty acids, which are sorely lacking in the SAD (Standard American Diet). We have an abundance of omega-6 (found in meats & dairy) with very low or no omega-3’s, which increases inflammation and causes a slew of issues. Omega-6 to omega-3 should be a ratio of 3:1. Eating salmon twice a week is highly beneficial. If not, you can always take a quality fish oil. I recommend Designs for Health capsules or Green Pastures Fermented Cod Liver Oil. http://krystalross.dfhealthestore.com/omegavail-1000tg-60-softgels.html
8. Herbal teas. Super high in minerals and antioxidants. Herbal teas boost the immune system, calm the nervous system, heal the gut, support the liver, help you burn fat (esp. green tea) and add an abundance of minerals. I love rooibos, green, nettle, chamomile, pau d’arco, ginger, lemon, peppermint, dandelion. Always buy organic. I like to buy in bulk on Amazon to save $$ and the quality is better than tea bags. I put in my adorable purple glass tea pot, allow to steep while I’m cleaning the kitchen and sip throughout the day.
9. Garlic. Anti-inflammatory, anti-pathogenic, supports the immune system and fights off candida overgrowth and SIBO (Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth- very common). It also lowers blood pressure and supports detox. Garlic is so delish!! You can add to almost anything!
10. Last, but not least- sea vegetables. High in minerals, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, anti-cancer. Nori, bladderwack, dulse, kelp, kombu are all great additions. You can add to soups, have in sushi, sprinkle on food (kelp granules) or add to smoothies.
There you have it friends; my list of healing foods! There are plenty of others, such as all vegetables, grass-fed meat, local free-range eggs, raw dairy, avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil, nutritional yeast, and yada yada 🙂
Spread the love!!