The changing of seasons, especially from autumn to winter, is a time to support immune health.
Follow these step-by-step directions as soon as you feel like you’re coming down with something or if your spouse or someone with whom you are in close contact is currently sick. I recommend stocking your herbal cabinets with these items ahead of time so you’ll be ready.
1.Grab your bone broth (preferably chicken for its stellar immune boosting properties) and drink two 8 oz. mugs daily as soon as you start to feel run down. Or, make a batch of my immune boosting soup. That stuff really works.
2.Begin taking oil of oregano, 2 capsules – 3 times daily. You can also take a few drops of doTERRA oregano essential oil (and apply to bottoms of feet diluted with fractionated coconut oil).
3.If you have doTERRA On Guard essential oil, take 2 drops of that twice daily (in your water, in capsules or under your tongue diluted with coconut oil). Also apply to bottoms of feet 2-4 times daily.
4.Bump up your vitamin D. Take 5,ooo IU daily during the winter months. Increase the dose to 15-20K for a few days during this protocol. Get your D levels checked bi-yearly. “Within range” is 30-100, BUT OPTIMAL (and immune supportive) is 50-80.
5.Herbs: astragalus, echinacea, elderberry, and/or medicinal mushrooms like shiitake, reishi, cordyceps. Colloidal silver, up to 500ppm, is excellent to have around too. Take a teaspoon every hour on the hour all day for 2-3 days. Kids can take it too. It’s a very potent anti-bacterial & anti-viral, and it works.
6.Take 1500 mg of vitamin C in divided doses (500 mg at a time). You can do a vitamin C flush if you’re feeling sickness coming on. Drink 500mg of vitamin C every 30 minutes until you get loose stools. Don’t chug orange juice–it’s mostly sugar! Many of the teas and elixirs below are rich in vitamin C and the necessary bioflavonoids.
7.Drink soothing teas during the day to stay warm and hydrated. Green tea, peppermint, licorice (unless high blood pressure), Echinacea, ginger, lemon, chamomile, rooibos, nettle, oat straw to name a few.
8. Get more sleep! You strengthen your immune system by getting adequate rest.
9. Exercise (not extreme). Walking/light jogging, rebounding, yoga, tai chi, Qi Gong- all moved the energy (chi) in the body, keeping it fluid and strong.
10. Load up on zinc. Oysters, ginger, grass-fed beef and pumpkin seeds are esp. high in this nutrient. You can also take a zinc supplement. I recommend 15-30mg daily in winter months.
11. Local, raw honey is a natural cough suppressant. You can also take ginger, peppermint and lemon to soothe.
12. Coconut oil! Organic, unrefined coc. oil is antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal while soothing and healing to the digestive tract and thyroid.
13. Probiotics and/or fermented foods. 80& of the immune system are in your gut!! Boost your system by consuming probiotic-rich foods or supplements (consult me with which probiotic to use).
14. Proper diet overall: healthy fats, quality protein, organic, local, pastured, free-range, eggs, veggies, fruits (low glycemic), nuts, seeds, fermented foods, teas, herbs. Ditch the processed foods: breads, cookies, chips, pasta, soda, coffee, alcohol, etc! Eat clean to support your overall health!