Sometimes it’s easy to get lazy about removing makeup. Research shows that using natural remedies on the face has a proven positive effect on slowing down or reversing the aging process. (1) While it’s best to use herb-based makeup as part of a natural skin care routine, making sure that you remove any makeup you choose to use is important to having healthy, youthful skin due to the free radicals that attach themselves to our exposed skin daily.
Free radicals cause the breakdown of healthy collagen, which is a huge factor in aging. If that’s not enough, makeup can clog the pores while you sleep, which can develop into acne. And acne can be unsightly, annoying and cause scarring. Because of this, it is really critical to make sure the skin is clear of these damaging free radicals before you head off to bed!
Now that I have helped you understand why this important, let’s delve into making a homemade makeup remover that will both save you money and save years off your age!
How to Make Your Own Makeup Remover
For this recipe, I recommend you make it right in the container that you want to use. I recommend small glass bottles and jars when possible.
Let’s start by putting the witch hazel into the container. Look for witch hazel without alcohol since alcohol dries the skin. I love witch hazel because it’s very gentle to the skin, operates as a strong antioxidant, balances the pH of the skin, prevents cellular damage, works as an astringent and kills bacteria that lives within the pores of the skin.
Next, add the jojoba oil and olive oil. Jojoba oil is a great oil to use on your face and is great for your skin. Not only can it remove your makeup, it’s hypoallergenic and removes any bacteria from your face as you use it. This powerful little oil that comes from the seed of the Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) plant, a shrub native to southern Arizona, southern California and northwestern Mexico, stimulates collagen synthesis, which will naturally slow down the aging process.
Olive oil does way more than make a salad dressing. Olive oil is rich in vitamin E and helps keep your skin feeling supple while calming irritation. It eliminates dryness and is really beneficial in removing mascara, dissolving it so that it easily slides right off your eyelashes without irritation. It is a perfect choice as part of your daily beauty routine in this makeup remover.
Now, add the water to the container, place the lid on it and shake it to blend it well. You now have the best homemade makeup remover within your reach!
To use, shake the container each time prior to application. Then, using a cotton ball or pad, wipe the face, gently using the makeup remover until all makeup has been removed. You want to avoid getting it in the eyes.
Homemade Makeup Remover
- 4 tablespoons witch hazel (preferably with glycerin and/or rose water to add moisture)
- 2 tablespoons of pure jojoba oil, castor oil or organic almond oil
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 4 drops Frankincense doTERRA essential oil (for anti-aging, sun spots, preventing skin cancer)
- 3 tablespoons purified water
- Use a small glass bottle and jar.
- Let’s start by putting the witch hazel into the container.
- Next, add the jojoba, olive oil and Frankincense essential oil
- Now, add the water to the container, place the lid on it and shake it to blend it well.
- To use, shake the container each time prior to application. Then, using a cotton ball or pad, wipe the face gently using the makeup remover until all makeup has been removed.
Revised article from Dr. Axe.